Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Kids and Sewing

My granddaughter, Mia, loves to sew and was treated to a 3 day school from Grandma (me) this week at our local quilt shop, Little Red Quilt House. It ran for 3 hours each day....just enough time to enjoy sewing before you get "antsy"! She is starting to work on her tote bag in the above picture and the picture below is what she finished first, Maggie by Lazy Girl Designs.
Here is Mia running her bias tape straps through the top casing. First time she has put anything through a casing with a safety pin....got a little frustrated at the seams...don't we all!

I love it Grandma!

This group of girls was a lot of fun....Mia has taken classes with the 2 girls on either side of her before, but the other two, sisters, were new to her and they all became fast friends. Our future quilters/sewers....how wonderful!
More classes planned for times they are off school.....it will help the winter blahs!!

Don't you just love the big, fluffy slippers?




5 comments:

Linda said...

What a fun day that must have been.Happy New Year Sandi.. To you and your family..

Pat said...

What a GREAT idea.....get them sewing early so our art does not become a DYING art!!!

Valerie the Pumpkin Patch Quilter said...

Awww I would love to do that with my daughter :)

Ashley and Jason Faucett said...

Love their project; very cute! How old was your granddaughter when she started sewing? I watch my nieces and everytime they are at my house they want to help, but I'm not sure how much they can do and am afraid of them breaking something! :) The oldest is 8; she's pretty smart and seems like if she really wanted to, she could do pretty well. Let me know! I also saw you have kids in OKC! That's where I am! Small world! :) Had fun in the sew in; thanks for the comment!!

Beeshebags said...

Oh wow Mia, what a wonderful job you did on both the tote bag and the Maggie....I have the Maggie pattern, and you've inspired me to pull the pattern out and use it now. Can't wait to see what else you sew....you're very good at it. Hugs Naomi