Sunday, April 5, 2009

Easter Outfits from another Century

I think this idea that Eileen had for posting our Easter outfits of years ago was really cool. I love nostalgia and this is it! As you will see, I come from a time before color photos when I was real young. The first photo is of my brother and I when I was about 3 or 4 years old. I do remember that the little coat and bonnet set was navy and white. I really love navy for Easter...maybe with yellow, one of my favorite colors.

The next photo is from 1952. I was almost 5 years old and look, I am wearing the same coat, minus the white color and cuffs. My mother certainly got her money's worth from that little coat. I think it still looks cute...especially with the new bonnet and tiny corsage! Of course the shoulder bag really makes the outfit!! My brother is 5 years older then me....gotta love the fedora....he looks like a mini Humphrey Bogart!!

My last photo is of me, my Mom and my brother. I was almost 8 years old for this Easter. I remember this Spring coat very well. It was an unusual color....something like a fuchia/orange. The material was extremely nubby and the collar scratched my neck when it was buttoned up. I loved that purse. It was a clear plastic with pretty flowers painted on. My Easter bonnet was just a little something on the back of my head. I don't remember it. Let's not forget those white gloves...always had these each year...probably the same pair for many years in a row.
I just realized that these Easters were mostly about coats....wish I knew what little dresses were underneath. Of course I wouldn't be able to tell the color anyway. That is weather in NE Ohio!
There you have it....Sandy at Easter when I was little. Wow...heavy memories!


19 comments:

Beth said...

I love navy for Easter, too! Molly and Amanda are wearing navy sailor dresses. I'll be sure to take a picture. :)
I love to see old pictures. They really tell some good stories!

Ulla said...

Our Easter is usually the time when we still wear you winter coats! First of May might be the day for a new spring coat, and catching cold if it happened to snow again.
Those are sweet pictures of you and your family.

Vintage Sandy said...

Easter memories are something so special I remember always getting up and going to "Sunrise" sevice and some of the dresses will have to look for some old photo's love your's Happy Easter dear friend!!

Steve said...

Could you imagine getting the youth of today dressed up like this, even if it's just for Easter? They have no idea!

Dionne said...

I LOVE that you actually wore bonnets! Thanks for sharing!
Cheers
Dionne

Eileen said...

Oh my goodness. These are wonderful! I seriously love that first one of you in the little coat! Adn I see our mothers both did that.. conserved clothing year after year.
I think the only pictures we have dressed up for Easter were the years it happened to be warm enough not to wear coats.. because I can never remember getting a new coat just for Easter. we had to wear our winter ones over top of our pretty dresses.
Thanks so MUCH for adding to the fun. Love your photos!

Terry said...

Such cute pictures! I don't really remember getting dressed up for Easter because when I was growing up we didn't go to church. I do remember the little blue sailor suit I wore when mom and dad got married though.

Anonymous said...

Your photos look like mine from that era. I'll have to look for mine.

Messy Karen said...

i love these old pics. love that you're holding up your pocketbook. cute cute smile.

Sara said...

How cute! Love the pictures and thank you for sharing. I don't remember ever wearing Easter dresses per say, but I am sure I did at one time!

Nanette Merrill said...

You are right. Most of my Easter pics are of a coat over a dress. I had forgotten that. The navy coat is darling. I'm in love with your brother's hat too! Thanks for sharing Sandy. I love vintage pics. They make me want to crawl inside them!

Mary L. said...

Sandy..love your pics. Ohio Easter weather is very like Iowa, huh? Guess we were born about the same year too (1946 for me.)

Lori Holt said...

Hi Sandy-
I see you also joined the parade and I came over to check out your photos.
How cute you are!
I so love the dressed up look along with the coats.
I also love your brothers hat with his suit.
My dad still wears a hat with his suit to church every week.
Thanks for sharing,
Lori

Carrie P. said...

Hi Sandy,
Thanks for coming by my blog.Yes, showing off the Easter dresses has been fun. Your picutres are so cute. Your mom was very frugal. I just love the hat on your brother.

Coloradolady said...

Most times than not you need a coat for Easter. I love how your mom modified the coat to last a couple of years. Great photos.

Sherri said...

Oh these photos are wonderful...I'm having a lot of fun taking the "tour" of Easter dresses! I love your fabric Easter eggs as well!

Susan said...

The outfits on both you and your brother are so cute. NE Ohio is not so much different than SE Michigan, coats are worn all through spring. Thanks for giving us a look at your Easter past.

Sue said...

Such cute pictures! It's fun to see everybody's Easter pics. I love the one of your brother in his suit and hat, definitely a mini-Bogart!

Loretta said...

Such adorable photos, Sandy! You are so cute! Happy Easter!